Monday, September 26, 2016

CROSS ON TOP OF THE ROCK 2016!! 
Cross on the Rock - Mt Washington
Race #2 Race Report by Evan Luksay


The debut venue provided 239 racers with a tight, muddy, off camber course that went throughout the upper section of the “Green Acres” ski trail (right below alpine lodge). The conditions at the time of the race were overcast, yet the rain was still holding off, perfect cross race conditions. The beginner race started out with a two hundred meter uphill sprint, I was luckily able to get the holeshot and ended up going into the tapped section with the leading position. The next quarter lap was filled with tight turns and bends on incredibly slippery grass. Immediately after crossing the finish line starting us on our official first lap we came into a pair of barriers, I ran over them with speed yet I caught my wheel on the second one thus making me put down my bike roughly. Once I tried re-mounting my bike I quickly realized that I had lost my chain on my front ring! I moved over to the side of the track while I fumbled to put my chain back on, yet it was stuck in my front chain ring! My Dad was luckily spectating the race where I had pulled over so he helped me with the chain, it took a couple minutes to finally get going on course again yet I realized I had gone from first to nearly 30th! I spent the next twenty minutes going throughout the ups and downs of the tight course regaining positions, it was great practise at passing aggressively. Sadly, on my last lap lightning struck twice and my chain jammed again when going over the barriers! Luckily, it only lost me a few positions and I was able to maintain my position for the rest of the race. Overall, it was a awesome race as I learned how to pass smoothly and efficiently while also having loads of fun on a amazing new venue!

Ian Lehton and Hudson Webster had a tight battle while Malcolm Lehton had a great finish in Beginner Men.

Brynn Johnston in Beginner Women’s finished third with Eva Leikermoser close behind!

Trial Bicycles had a great showing in Intermediate Men with Breckin Nowak, Erik Ashton and Jake Yells all having solid races!

Lastly, Emilly Johnston placed third in Expert Women!


No comments:

Post a Comment