Friday, June 10, 2016

Fraser Valley Enduro Race Report!

Sunday, May 18th!

A Big Thank You to our sponsors: Sew What, I Sew,
Eatmore Sprouts & Greens Ltd., Rob Nygren Royal Lepage Realtor, Western One, Riverway Dental Inc., Wedler Engineering LLP, Airport Service and Mini-Storage, and Trail Bicycles

Heading out to my first BC enduro in a few years had me a little nervous. The last BC enduro I went to was during my first year of racing for Trail Bicycles. That was in Kelowna. We stayed with my grandparents in Naramata then drove out to practice and to race day. At the end of practice I had one word going through my mind; SCARY. The race was a blast and I had a few sketchy moments but at the end I was thinking about how I wanted to race more. Last summer, I never made it out to any of the BC enduros due to my lack of planning and organizing. I raced the island cup series which are always a blast but I still wanted to race the BC series. I was stoked to find out I would make it to Fraser valley and most of the rest of the series.

The plan for Mt Vedder, Fraser valley, was to get out and ride stage one on Friday, participate in the junior national team selection camp, and get the rest of the course dialled on Saturday. It was a combination of steep, tech and flow. Race day was long.; very long. We covered roughly 2000m climbing not counting the shuttle. Stage one for me was good, I had a couple of crashes, costing me quite a bit of time, but still came 6th overall. I was bummed to see Breckin Nowak crash roughly a couple of feet in front of the finish and end up breaking his elbow and having to get stitches in his lip. Stage two was kept a secret because it was a loam trail and they didn’t want it to be ridden out for the race. I had a clean run and finished sixth there as well.  Stage three was a long, 15 minute descent featuring loam, tech and some really loose gravel. I had one major crash where I ended up going over the bars and I ended up dropping my chain twice which was a bit of a bummer. I finished in 10th place for the third and final stage.


Overall I came 8th which wasn’t too bad but I certainly could’ve raced better and more consistent.  I am heading to Williams Lake this weekend to race my second BC enduro this season. Looking forward to the rest of the BC and Island Cup endure series and having a successful rest of the season.

-Kieran Nilsen

No comments:

Post a Comment