Sunday, June 26, 2016

The Kelowna Classic XC by Erik Ashton

The Kelowna Classic XC by Erik Ashton
The Kelowna Classic XC was a wicked one. With rain up until a few hours before the loud “go!”, the course was the tackiest you can possibly get in the okanagan. The course was a quick road climb bottleneck into a smooth singletrack, switchback climb. When you got to the top of the singletrack climb, you go into a quick passing opportunity for a 15 second doubletrack. Then comes the first of the two fast, flowy, punchy descents. This first section included two drops, (one mandatory) and the other you can ride around. After the first descent, there was a flat smooth double track that went on for roughly .7 of a km. It then split in two. Going left was an extra two km for the masters, U17, U19, Elite, and so on. That continuation took you up a steep doubletrack climb into an overgrown descent. My route however, was for the U13 and U15 boys and that was a continued double track which led into the second descent. The second part was only 1.3 km but it was more steep which involved an off camber rock garden section which put a few in the bush! From there it was a quick overgrown section which led to the lap point. At the lap point you could take a hard left into a 200m sprint to the finish line or continue through. My race was a very fun one. We had three laps and I was off like a rocket but unfortunately, as soon as I got to the singletrack, I got a slow leak in my tire! The climb did not involve much rocks and roots so I kept climbing until I got to the quick double track section to get some co2 in my tire. It worked ok, but I was off my bike for over a minute! When I got back on, I was in 4th place and passed 3rd and 2nd over time. I was gaining on my competition who was then about 10 seconds ahead when the final sprint came. I only made up a few seconds, but not quite enough for the pass. After my race I was satisfied and we had a good burger with some drinks! We then had our podium which was 1st place with Team Devo Leaf Rogers, 2nd place Trail Bicycles Cycling Team Erik Ashton and 3rd place Trail Bicycles Cycling Team Jake Yells! 

No comments:

Post a Comment